Topic: Cyber Security – Subject: Strong Passwords
Written by; Chris Ridzon – CEO Basics-n-Beyond LLC.
Have you ever struggled with passwords? If so you are not alone! In the age of smartphone’s, smart homes and computers, our everyday life can become inundated with passwords. To the common user, a new password means frustration or complacency. Did you know 8 out of 10 passwords created by a consumer have something to do with a family member’s name or birthday, a home address or a pets name? Not only that but 9 out of 10 people use the SAME password for everything! This makes it very easy for someone to hack your passwords gaining access to your most sensitive data.
Below I have put together and quick support guide to help you create a secure password that you can feel good about.
4 Tips to Build a Strong Password Culture
Use a phrase:
· Around 12 letters long
· Something simple to remember, but hard to crack
· Can integrate things you like or do to make it more memorable
· Give an example
Keep each account unique:
· Never use the same password more than once
· Give an example (the idea here is to build on your previous example as you progress through each tip).
Play with spellings:
· Use homonyms
. Two or the number “2” instead of To
. Ant instead of Aunt
· Build on your previous example
Random capitalizations and numbers:
· Use numbers and capitalizations but keep it memorable
. If you go overboard, your password will be impossible to remember
· Idea: Can use a capital letter on the second word of every password
· Idea: Can use the same number behind the first word of every password
· Build on your previous example.
Download a password manager:
- http://lastpass.com or on your smartphone app store search for LastPass